So it seems everyone wants to undo Harper’s move to prorogue parliament, and the answer… Join a Facebook group.
I have two problems with this.
1) Are we really “Canadians Against Proroguing Parliament?” I’m not (that’s actually why I didn’t join the group). Prorogation has a specific use in Canadian democracy, but this isn’t it. Harper is using this little used bit of Canadian law to get his way.
Brief intermission to apologize for the following language. Sorry.
2) What the fuck is this going to do? What the fuck will a demonstration do? What the fuck will writing to the PMO do? What the fuck will writing to your MP do?
No, seriously, those are all questions that I want to know the answers to. Please tell me.
But boys and girls, there’s a stronger question that’s begging to be asked here. What can we do? I want to know, and I want to do it.
- I want to prevent this douchewad from returning to 24 Sussex.
- I want to find a way to ensure that someone else forms government.
- I want the Liberal Party of Canada to find a new, electable leader for the party.
- I want the New Democratic Party to find a new electable leader.
- I want Canadians to see that an economist might make sense as a Prime Minister on paper, but when the reality is the largest deficit in Canadian history, we have to do something about it.
- I want Canadians to shout that KNOWINGLY handing prisoners over to a government who commit abuse is wrong.
- I want Canada to return to a place of respect in the world.
- I want Canadians to know their Government has treated their own appointed accountability with contempt.
So, please, tell me what we can do. I want to do it.